Friday, November 16, 2018

How To Make Tyropita

Tyropita is a popular Greek dish. It primarily consists of feta cheese (and a few others) and filo dough. It is a common dish in many middle eastern countries as well as Greece. There are many variations. This recipe was given to me by my mother-in-law (Yiayia) and it always gets rave reviews each time I make it. Because it is basically cheese and dough, kids love it! I like to serve it as an hors d'oeuvre in triangles, but it is much faster to make as a pie. It's a nice accompaniment to fish or a salad.




I use Athens filo dough sheets.


Mix eggs until well-blended.


Add all of the cheeses with dill and salt and pepper. Blend.


Lay filo dough out on a flat surface.


Butter each layer individually (this makes the filo crispy when baked).


After 8 layers of filo, spoon on about half of the cheese mixture.


Lay on another 8 layers of filo, buttering each one.

After being chilled for 20 minutes, cut into serving-size pieces. And bake.


This recipe was taught to me by my late mother-in-law. Each time I make it, I remember all the fun times I had baking with her. More often than not, I would get a little frustrated because she wouldn't have exact measurements. She would often say, "Oh, just add a little of this or a little of that." Although I am not Greek, I have a full recipe book of all of her family recipes. My husband is a very happy Greek man! Now I enjoy teaching them to my daughter and two sons.



Kαλή όρεξη 
(Good appetite)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...